Monday, March 30, 2009

Social Action Project Update

I started the girls group and we are meeting twice a week but I decided that I wanted to take a different direction with my social action project after reading The Breadwinner and A Heart Divided.  Part of this idea also came from EDU 619 where one of our assignments was to go to a local library to see what types of books were there.  Well, I also checked out the library by me in Arlington and my schools library.  Both are greatly lacking books of diversity and ones that deal with social issues.  My school library is particularly lacking in this department.  After reading The Breadwinner with my class my students have been obsessed with finding books dealing with different issues.  Of course, when we go to the school library there are not any available.  I have spoken with my school librarian and I'm going to start developing a list of books/text sets that would be a great addition to our library.  Once these start arriving I'm going to do book talks about them before school with the kids.  I'm really excited about this because I think it will really open up the kids minds and engage those students in reading that aren't always excited about it. 

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think that it is a great idea to try to get books about "issues" in the school library. The kids understand "issues" so much better when it is written at there level and they can relate to the characters somehow, even if the only connection is age.