Thursday, February 12, 2009

Comment/Question/Connection from class on 2/10/09

Comment:  I liked the idea about the bulletin board with the name cards where the kids can display items that they would like to share/discuss with the class.  I would like to try this in my classroom.   I think that relating any subject to what students are interested in makes it so much more meaningful.  The kids also recall what they learned down the road, which does not always happen when they cannot relate to the material.

 

Question: I love the way Vivian’s classroom was set up in the book, however my classroom is quite small.  How can one have these station/center areas when it is so crowded in a classroom? 

 

Connection:  I actually tried using this comment/question/connection strategy today while my students were presenting their biography book reports.  The responses to their peers were much more thought out and meaningful.  One student even related Abe Lincoln being shot to her father who had been shot as a connection.  

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I also like the idea of posting kids names next to things that they would like to share. My connection is when brainstorming information with the class I love to write the student's ideas down with there name. This makes them feel part of the group and helps them remember what they contributed. Kids love to see their names.

JBD said...

I liked the audit trail very much, and that the kids could keep track of what they have learned over the year. Even in higher learning settings, sometimes we forget or neglect to put our learning experiences into the wider context of themes, topics, or connections that we make to the material! I've actually thought of making some sort of visible audit trail for myself and my dissertation research in progress.